In the fall, as the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, it’s easy to feel tired throughout the day. When our exposure to light decreases, our bodies increase melatonin production, a hormone that regulates our sleep cycle. As the increase in melatonin makes you feel sleepy and sluggish, and you might find yourself reaching for an extra cup of coffee or an energy drink. If you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle and want a natural alternative, there are plenty of natural ways you can boost your energy!
One way to give yourself an energy boost is by making a natural “on-the-go” energy drink. Grapefruits are a natural energy source without sugar or caffeine (so you can put down that sugary energy drink). Grapefruits are available from October through June. You can enjoy them all fall and winter long.
To make a natural energy drink using grapefruit, infuse your water with the fruit. Here’s how:
1. Thinly slice one grapefruit.
2. Place the grapefruit slices in a pitcher.
3. Add 2 quarts of water (or sparkling water).
4. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
5. Stir, strain, and throw away the grapefruit.
To make this energy drink more “on-the-go” friendly, pour the infused water into individual bottles that you can grab on your way out the door.
If you aren’t a fan of grapefruit, you can try other energy-boosting fruit that’s in season in the fall. Here are a few suggestions:
· Apples are available from July to November. Apples release energy slowly, so you won’t experience a quick spike and crash. Apples also contain vitamins B and C, as well as potassium.
· Navel oranges are in season from November to May. Oranges offer a powerful energy boost and many nutrients, including phosphorus, vitamin C, and more.
· Lemons are available all year round. Meyer lemons, in particular, are in season from November to April. A glass of lemon water can give you the energy boost you need.
· Limes are in season from May to October, so take advantage of them if it’s not too late. Limes have detoxifying properties, which can help to give you more energy.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and make your own all-natural energy drinks at home. Try one of the fruits mentioned or a combination of them. You can find many tasty recipes online too.