There are a lot of reasons to like coffee—perhaps the most popular reason is that it helps keep you awake. It calms the nerves too. There’s nothing better than a cup of coffee during the winter. As you drink it, you feel a rush of heat surge through your body, warming you from head to toe!
There are other health reasons associated with consuming coffee that may surprise you. Here are a few:
1. Can improve energy levels and make you smarter. The caffeine in coffee improves mood, energy levels, and various aspects of brain function.
2. Can help you burn fat. Caffeine can increase fat burning and boost your metabolic rate.
3. Can drastically improve physical performance. Caffeine can increase adrenaline levels and release fatty acids from your fat tissues making them available for fuel. It leads to improvements in physical performance.
4. Contains essential nutrients. Coffee contains several important nutrients, including riboflavin (vitamin B2), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), manganese, potassium, magnesium, and niacin (vitamin B3).
5. May lower your risk of Type 2 Diabetes. Coffee helps you process glucose sugar better. Several studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
6. May protect you from Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia. Studies show that coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of getting Alzheimer’s Disease.
7. May lower your risk of Parkinson’s disease. Studies show that coffee drinkers have up to a 60% lower risk of Parkinson’s but it appears that caffeine is what’s beneficial.
8. May protect your liver. Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of cirrhosis.
9. Can fight depression and make you happier. Coffee appears to lower your risk of developing depression and may dramatically reduce suicide risk.
10. May lower risk of certain types of cancer. Coffee appears to be protective against two types of cancer: liver and colorectal cancer.
11. Doesn’t cause heart disease and may lower stroke risk. Coffee may cause mild increases in blood pressure, which usually diminish over time. Coffee drinkers do not have an increased risk of heart disease and have a slightly lower risk of stroke.
12. May help you live longer. Several studies show that coffee drinkers live longer and have a lower risk of premature death.
13. The biggest source of antioxidants in the Western diet. Coffee is rich in powerful antioxidants, and many people get more antioxidants from coffee than from fruits and veggies combined.